Saturday 16 June 2012

Hertfordshire and Hampshire

Aquadrome LNR - Virgin territory

Little Bittern
 My first visit to Hertfordshire for a bird was a real success. I ventured out to Rickmansworth for a look at the female Little Bittern which had been re-found after a brief visit mid-week. I stayed for about an hour watching it skulk in riverside Willows and taking a few pictures. It then came right out in the open and fished successfully catching the odd Sticklebacks. Once it was out in the open it was perfect for photographs, if you had any battery power left DOH!!!

This was a British tick for me and I couldn't have asked for better views, about 20ft away fishing. I was amazing by its size but also its behaviour and piercing yellow eye. A really nice looking bird.

Next I headed down the M3 to the New Forest and Pennington Marsh to look for the Night Heron which had been present on and off for a couple of weeks. I found it after a bit of a struggle but it takes me to 275 for the year. 25 to go...now it gets tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.