Sunday 10 August 2014

The Tale of Three Seawatches!

So once ringing had been well and truly written off it was time to head to the coast to try and see a few passing seabirds. On arrival at Splash Point at 5.20am I was surprised to be the only one on site. Nonetheless I got settled and it was soon pretty apparent it was going to be quite a slow day. It was nice to see Matt, Bob, Neil, Chris and Liam and the birds weren't too bad in the end anyway:

Splash Point, Seaford - 5.20am to 11.00am

Kittiwake - 387E
Common Scoter - 67E
Fulmar - 43E
Whimbrel - 2E
Gannet - 366W
Shelduck - 17E
Swift - 6E

Cormorant - 6E
Oystercatcher - 1E/1W
Balearic Shearwater - 2E (07.40 & 10.10)
Curlew - 5E
Gadwall - 2E
Skua sp (Probabaly Arctic) - 1E (10.02)
Sandwich Tern - 3E
Common Tern - 2E

I then headed home for a nap only to be woken by a text from Matt saying the Long-tailed Skua was back and I was desperate to see it having missed it four times in the last week. I rang George K and he was watching it when I rang and said he would call if it moved. I got to Chichester and George rang...balls! I decided to head to Selsey Bill as it had flown west from Church Norton. I arrived at 3.50pm and watched with Sam, Justin, Sarah and Andrew H and recorded the following:

Selsey Bill - 3.50pm to 5.05pm

Whimbrel - 3W
Gannet - 3W/3E
Common Scoter - 1E
Eider - 5o/s
Common Tern - 12W
Great Crested Grebe - 6o/s
LBB Gull - 3W
Swift - 14W
Sandwich Tern - 6W
Turnstone - 1E
Sanderling - 3W

The Long-tailed Skua didn't fly by during my stay at Selsey Bill but at c5.05pm it was reported at the Lifeboat Station and flying towards the Bill. Finally I had to connect with the bird...WRONG it headed back to Church Norton so I beat a hasty retreat and rocked up at Church Norton to find Lee Evans and no Skua...Tits!

I decided to sit it out at Church Norton and hope the little bastard came back but now it was low tide and my confidence had all but drained. To cut a long story short I didn't see the shitbag skua, in fact I didn't see anything of note in three more hours seawatching. Totals below:

Church Norton - 5.20pm to 8.05pm

Whimbrel - 4W
Turnstone - 9o/b
Sandwich Tern - 16W
Common Tern - 11W
Little Tern - 2W
Cormorant - 6E
Oystercatcher - 20+o/b
Med Gull - 1E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.