Friday 11 October 2013

Scillies 2013 - Day 7 - Fri 11th October

Log last night produced nothing so I decided to have a bit of a lie in and then have another bash at St Mary's but this time get up to the top of the island too. I was out on the balcony by 8.00am and there were lots of Redwing moving around in the murky conditions. In just 50 mins from the flat I recorded:

Redwing - 30
Chaffinch - 2
Greenfinch - 6
Goldfinch - 14
Swallow - 4

I then headed to Lower Moors via Porthmellon. On the beach there I found a single Whimbrel and a few Oystercatcher's but very little else. At Lower Moors I had a nice flight view of the Purple Heron again as it flew in from Higher Moors and ended up heading towards Porthloo.

Purple Heron - Lower Moors
Also at Lower Moors there was a single Jack Snipe tucked away with the Common Snipe as well as a Common Darter whizzing around near the ISBG hide. From here I decided to head up Peninnis Head to look for the two Lapland Buntings which had been seen around the Lighthouse. At the tip I soon located the Lapland Buntings and enjoyed good views of them with Jay, Paz and Denise. There was also a single Skylark and the Snow Bunting was still present on King Edward's Road. On the lower path I also manged to see 7 Fieldfare which flew over the allotments towards Porthcressa.

Lapland Bunting - Peninnis Head
The rest of the day produced much of the same with 6 Redwing at Higgo's Pool and 4 at Carn Gwavel. The only other highlight during the afternoon was a couple of House Martin's in with a flock of c80 Swallow feeding over the Standing Stones field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.